Saturday, January 12, 2008

The new house, Jan 11 2008

I started Friday, at my doctor's office for my annual physical and ended the day watching the carpenters complete the construction of the curved stairway in our new foyer. I had not intended to do that but after the doctor's visit I decided to take the day off. I then went to a supply house and picked up the tankless water heaters that we had ordered.

Upon arriving at the house, the framing foreman and carpenter were telling me that they may still need to add a column under the front stairway to support the upper stringer. Niether Cindy nor I wanted to have a column 3 feet from wall and 5 feet from the kitchen half wall right in the middle of a walkway area between the foyer/family room and ktchen. After discussing it for a bit I suggested placing a doubled 2x6 under the existing stringer and running them up into the beam of the second floor. the light went on with the framing foreman the rest is history. We now have a great looking stairway and nice location for a message desk under the stairs!

The carpenters finished the stairs and Cindy joined me at the house after work. She was very happy with the result as am I.

No comments: